Tuesday, June 14, 2011

What we take for granted

Levi

Ethan modeling his new swim wear
The last two and a half weeks have been full of moments where I watch the boys experience something fun and new as they get used to their new life here in America. As I see their reaction to these things,  I am reminded how blessed my life has been and reminded of the "privileged" upbringing our girls have had... as just about everyone in America has been privileged to enjoy also. We take for granted that our kids will be involved in swim lessons, music lessons, have the opportunity to play on safe playground equipment, etc. These are all luxuries our new boys have not had in their lives thus far. Yesterday we were able to introduce the boys to a pool... a small inflatable pool for Levi (until we make sure he has no intestinal issues to pass along), and an above-ground pool for Ethan. Both boys took to the water like fish, joyfully putting their faces in, rolling around,blowing bubbles and giggling with delight over the entire experience. Watching their delight made me realize that I take so many blessings for granted. I desire to continually go through my life with an attitude of thankfulness, but that attitude is so easily lost in the details that make up our days. Today I am particularly thankful for: clean water, abundant access to healthy and delicious food, a clean and safe home, air conditioning on a hot day, a husband who has a job which provides for all our needs, four happy children who have not had to experience tragedy and grief, two new boys who have had to experience tragedy and grief and yet continue to press on courageously, laughter, the never-ending mercies and blessings of God.

With a thankful heart, Alison

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad things are going well! LOVE the pictures!

    Carmen

    ReplyDelete